Construction of a chicken coop :
The following steps should be followed when building a poultry house:
- Preparing a construction plan, by hiring a carpenter, or finding a construction plan in a book online.
- Avoid the increase in the height of the barn, taking care that the floor is solid, so as to keep the chickens from entering predators.
- Use recycled materials in the construction very carefully, but it is advisable not to use worn wood, or poor-quality and poor-quality materials, so as not to cause the destruction of the barn. A
- To ensure that there is a suitable space for poultry farming, in order to facilitate the movement of poultry in the barn. Making convenient boxes for nesting poultry, and for laying eggs in them, preferably one box can accommodate at least 4-5 chickens, and care must be taken to place the boxes in easily accessible places in order to collect eggs.
- Making a barn is easy to clean and maintain, so it is preferable that the barn door is large in size, and contains a key, so as to facilitate cleaning without back pain.
How to choose the type of chicken :
Some people, especially beginners in poultry farming, find it difficult to choose the right type of chicken for breeding, so it is necessary to take into account some of the basics of poultry farming, and in what follows is an explanation of these basics:
- It is preferable to choose hybrid types of chickens if you want to breed chickens for commercial purposes.
- It is preferable to choose certain types of chickens such as; Australorp, Leghorn, Mayumi, camping, Dominic, Plymouth Rock, and others if you want to raise chickens with the aim of obtaining eggs only.
- It is preferable to choose chickens from certain species, including Cornish, Freedom Ranger, Giant Jersey chicken, and other species if you want to buy chickens in order to get meat.
- It is preferable to choose different types of chickens if you want to raise chickens for eggs and meat together, including; Wyandot, Sussex, Plymouth Rock, Orpington chickens, and Rhode Island Red chickens.
Financial considerations and available time considerations :
It is necessary to take into account the financial ability in order to buy chickens, as it is possible to get inexpensive breeds of chickens, and they do not need a lot of time in order to care for them and take care of them.
If you want to get chickens with standard specifications, you must set a financial budget that suits the price of chickens, and usually, it is preferable to choose the Bantam breed of chickens as it has an average price.
Determine the available space :
It is necessary to take into account the available space when raising chickens, and it should be clarified that if you are able to organize the chickens and give them the necessary time, they will not need much space, but in the case of part-time chickens, a large space should be provided at home for food, sleeping place, and other facilities.
In addition, it should be taken into account that there is enough space to stand inside the barn until collecting eggs or cleaning
Taking the weather into account :
The weather condition in the place where chickens are to be raised must be taken into account when choosing the type of chicken, as some breeds of chickens cannot adapt to hot weather or very cold weather, although there are certain types that can adapt to all weather conditions.
Considerations of the color of chicken feathers and the color of its eggs :
Chicken breeders should know that chicken breeds have different colors of feathers, and chicken breeders can choose the breed whose plumage color is preferred, and from the colors of chicken feathers; orange, black, blue, white, and brown.
In addition, the color of chicken eggs varies from Breed to breed, some breeds have white, light brown, pink, cream, or dark brown eggs.
Feeding domestic poultry :
Poultry eat a lot of feed and also eat everything you may find in front of them, where mice, bugs, insects, and tomatoes eat, so it is necessary to pay attention to the food provided to poultry that is raised at home, and provide all the appropriate foods for them, such as cereals, and examples of cereals that are offered to poultry are the following:
- Fine white wheat.
- Red winter wheat.
- Peeled barley.
- Oat groats.
- Sunflower seeds.
- Wheat bran.
- Sesame seeds.
- Kelp.sea grass.
Note: all the previous cereals can be mixed with each other, and make homemade feeds for poultry, and thus poultry breeders will ensure the safety of the foods provided to them, as handmade feeds are better than manufactured commercial feeds because they contain many nutrients.
Feeding chickens with commercial feed :
Commercial feeds are one of the foods provided to poultry raised on farms, and these feeds are characterized by their high efficiency because they contain the maximum amount of energy consumed for growth and development.
It also contains high sources of protein that helps to build its body, the growth of its feathers, and the essential minerals contained in the feed contribute to facilitating egg production.
Poultry disease prevention :
Poultry owners should take the necessary preventive methods to prevent chickens from contracting diseases, as poultry are commonly infected with typhoid, cholera, chronic respiratory diseases, infectious sinusitis, infectious coryza disease, infectious hepatitis, infectious synovitis, bird pox, fever, and other avian diseases.
Therefore, poultry breeders should take strict hygienic precautions, use antibiotics, and vaccines, follow the confinement breeding of broiler chickens, along with constant and periodic monitoring of the health of chickens, and provide modern means of sanitation.